Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tickled Pink

I prefer doing the dishes with pink rubber kitchen gloves. That is actually how this whole piece started. Every time my right glove got a hole in it, I threw it away and opened a new packet. The left glove went in the cupboard "in case". One day I checked and found 3 left gloves. I tried using one on my right hand, but it was too darn uncomfortable (try having your thumb pulled back the whole time!). Then I thought of using it for art and voila, Tickled Pink: It is a quilt/applique on canvas with real teaspoons filled with celebrity female faces. A commentary on the popular media and the unhealthy "food" they are feeding our souls. I also used bits of text from a cheap romance novel, satin, beading, lace, Barbie Doll clothes hangers and two bizarre pink potato peelers (I removed their blades and replaced it with beads from a hairband). There is not one single straight line, I wanted to emphasise CURVES - real women have CURVES and are round, soft and embracing. Here is a picture of myself at the DUCTAC Teachers' Exhibition held on 23 October 2007. One of the guests asked the hostess if they could meet the artist. In typical Hollywood comedy fashion, I was chewing on a dry little puff pastry when they approached me, lol. The lady wanted to talk about Tickled Pink and said it was a really striking piece of work, and that she wished she had space in her suitcase to take it back to the UK with her. All in all, it was a lovely evening and I received many compliments on my work.

No comments: